- The 404 Page
SEO means improving the user experience and using a proper 404 page can help in contributing to that goal.
The 404 page is the page which is shown when one user is looking for a page on your site that mistypes a URL or doesn’t exist or follows a broken link.
A proper 404 page should:
- Give the user some information of what happened besides displaying “Not found”
- Be designed consistently with the rest of the website
- Give the user the options to navigate to other pages of the site.
- Image Optimization
Using images is necessary to raise the user experience but must avoid creating the negative effects such as problems with slow response or page load speed.
There are some using images tips:
- To describe the image, use Alt Text and add some keywords but don’t overdo it.
- Use meaningful names for images with dashes. For example, cheap-flight.jpg
- Store all images in a dedicated folder in your site.
- Optimize the size of the image you use. The smaller size of the image, the faster your site will load.
- Page Speed
High page speed improves the user experience and it is one of the factors to encourage the users to come again. In addition, a fast website is more likely to:
- Rank higher in search results
- Get more conversions
- Get more page visits per user
How to increase the page speed?
- Use a caching service or plug-in.
- Optimize the images.
- Use Google Page Speed Service to analyze your site and get recommendations.
- Consider using a Content Delivery Network (CDN) service like Amazon Cloud Front or Cloud Flare.
Tackling performance issues requires technical skills and is not easy for the average user to solve the problems. However, it is very important for SEO and should not be neglected.